Monday, September 3, 2012

Oh southern problems...

So today I helped teach my first English class. I had a group of 5 girls. It was fun, they were all energetic and excited to be there. A few were a little shy about pronunciation but overall it was great. Mike said, and I quote "Yeah, it helps you got all the smart ones." We read a Clifford book (in English of course) and after every few pages I would ask comprehension questions (in Spanish). The teacher in me wanted to ask all these really great questions, however the Spanish-as-a-second-language part of me prohibited some of those great questions from happening. BUT overall the girls understood what was happening in the story and seemed to enjoy the funny parts. Then we moved on to the vocabulary for the day-transportation/travel themed words. It was during this section I realized how thick of a southern accent I sometimes have...for example the words trip, drive, and airport to name a few (I think its the 'i' sounds..). The girls were repeating me and several times I had to stop and re-say the word myself. So in a few years when there are all these Honduran girls speaking English with a southern accent you will know why :)
After our themed vocab for the day we read a Bible passage in Spanish and then read the simple, what would be children's story Bible version in English. Today it was about the "important" man who came to Jesus wanting his son to be healed and who Jesus healed without even leaving where he was. Afterwards we talked about that Jesus didn't even need to see the boy to heal him because he is powerful.
At the end I tested the girls and they all passed for the day, imagine that :)
 
Teaching English class in Armenia Bonito

No comments:

Post a Comment