Monday, July 23, 2012

Softball Outreach

This past Saturday one of the other students at the school and a local church partnered together to put on a free Home Run Derby as a ministry outreach. I was able to go and to help serve food. There was of course a 3 round home run derby with trophies for the winners, free hot dogs and cookies for lunch, and gospel presentations for both the kids and the adults. It was an awesome way to give back to the community I have been living in the past 6 weeks. It is hard most days to feel like I am doing anything useful even though I know that I am here to learn Spanish and that is what God has called to for this short time.
Then, Sunday we took a day trip to a volcano and were able to swim at a resort at the base of the volcano and to ride horses around the volcano. Let me tell you this was not like any trail ride you will ever take in the States. We pretty much had free range and the guides were normally not even in the front. My horse was a lot like me. She tried to sprint the entire time (which was fine with me) and couldn't stand for another horse to be ahead of her. The only disagreement we had was when she refused to jump a fallen log that all the other horses had jumped-that earned her the nickname Lazy Bones. But that's okay too because I borrowed someone else's horse and jumped it anyway:)
Look for photos on Facebook of both the Home Run Derby and Arenal Volcano.

Be in prayer for my last 2 weeks of language school! Crazy to think that in less that 2 weeks I will be in Honduras!

1 comment:

  1. It looks as though it has been an awesome experience fro you and everyone you have had contact with:) Take care, and you are in my thoughts and prayers! Mary

    ReplyDelete